Thursday, August 19, 2021

Altered File Folder Folio & Free Vintage Butterfly Image

 

Hi everyone!  Today I have a fun tutorial to share with you for a file folder folio.  This makes a great gift or happy mail because it opens to store goodies, giftcards or cash.  The construction is simple, so you can spend time on the collage.  

First, take a middle tabbed file folder and fold the non-tabbed side in to meet the center fold.  Fold up and cut off the tabbed portion where it meets the new fold.  This will leave you with three panels.  Cut the right side off so that the folded folio measures 8.5" long.  Take the cut off sections and make a gusset for the sides so the pocket can enlarge without your items falling out.  Cut it a little shorter than the sides and 1.5" wide.  Score at at .5, .75 and 1.0.

Fold these pieces up accordion style, then use wet glue on the first and last sections to attach between your folded panel.


Now enjoy creating a collage on the front and back, or use scrapbook paper to decorate!  I used a simple eyelet and bakers twine as a wrap closure, but you could get as fancy as you'd like.

I made this one for my Mother's birthday and stuffed it with collage ephemera that I cut fussy for her and some birthday cash.  I did lightly sand all of my edges with a nail file so the finished folio would be smooth to the touch.

I'll share some closeups on my Instagram page @letterpaperpen.  And I'm happy to share the butterfly image I used.  I found it at the Biodiversity Heritage Library and altered it to fit my needs.  Right click to open in a new window and save.  I hope this project has inspired you today!   Please leave me a link if you've made this folio so I can see your beautiful work.

2 comments:

  1. Your collages are wonderful, Autumn - everything you touch turns to gold! Thanks for the butterfly download and for pointing me in the direction of the library where it came from. I will be exploring further!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely projects here, too, Autumn!

    ReplyDelete